Tuesday, February 23, 2010

California Style Snow Day

I've been reading about all the snow on the east coast and being snowed in and yada yada. It seems pretty hard to deal with and a lot of trouble.
I'd like to show what a California snow day looks like.
First, you plan to leave the house at 8am, but because you can't find mittens or snow boot for everyone, and then there is the need for coffee, you really leave at like 9.
(Not one of us actually had mittens, snowboots AND a hat, at best each had two out of three. I ended up wearing gardening galoshes, BZ was wearing gardening gloves instead of mittens. M was the best prepared. )
Anyways, you drive a little bit under blue skies and then get to the snow park. No, east-coasters, we can't just go into our backyards, we have special places for snow. This is California.
Then you walk a few minutes and ta-da! You are ready for snow type activities. M had never seen snow before, and I think only one of our dogs had, so it was pretty thrilling for most of our group.
Our snow type activities included:
1)Throwing Snow balls.
 

2) "Dog Skiing"

3) Sliding down the snow on our jackets, because, YES, it was so warm that we had to take our jackets off, and NO, we don't own a sled,  this is California. We own gardening galoshes, not sleds. Uhum.. this activity was not recorded. Let me distract you with:



After a good hour of icy fun, we decided to head home. We stopped for lunch on the way, and made it back for nap time. 
Snow Day in California Recap: Coffee, Drive, Fun, Mild Sunburn, Lunch, Drive, Nap. The end.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well the good news for the Iditarod competitors is Brian, Friday and Beta are no threat. However, given your preparation story, I would be worried that I meet read about Donner Party II on a future trip....I know that is not the point, but we have lots of stuff you can borrow/have anytime. Rhiannon--very sweet story as always.

anonymous Grandfather

Lauren said...

This is great. You always make me laugh out loud when I read your posts. Which makes me slightly upset when I hop on over and realize you don't have a new one! Imagine my joy - there were a few new ones for me today!

PS - more snow coming to us tomorrow! :) Will be thinking of you guys and Miss M.

Thanks for the post.

Kristy said...

Hi my name is Kristy and I came across your blog from Norrah's. My son Dylan is 1yr and has WHS. Your daughter looks adorable and amazing. How old is she?