Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Weekly Canning Continues

So this weekend my mom let me borrow a pressure cooker. Let me rephrase that. She let me borrow my great-grandmother's pressure cooker.
See, I've wanted a pressure cooker for some time since it would broaden my horizon of canning life! The green beans! The fruit! The non-lemony tomatoes!
But really, the idea of having boiling water, glass, and food under pressure and on my stove kinda scared me. Ok, really scared me.
Did I mention it was my great-grandmother's pressure cooker? You want proof, don't you?















That's right 1947. It's a 60 year old Mirro-matic.

But it still works. Like a dream! You want proof again, don't you? Darn skeptics.

Nothing blew up! The directions say to turn the heat to low after the weight "jiggles". There was never really any jiggling, but there was a little liquid bubbling. We'll substitute that for jiggling. I let it cool and depressurize for 2 hours, and it still had a little pressure at the end. When I was pulling out the jars, they were still really hot. Much hotter than you would think for sitting for a couple of hours.
The only problem with pressure canning is that you never get to hear the victorious popping as the jars seal. Oh well, it's the price you pay for home canned veggies!

Statistics:
Family: Good.
Baby: Better every day.
Work: Rev-ing up
On the s#!t list: Still my adviser. What a shmuck.
Dogs: Wishing they already had their pool.
When I grow up I want to be
: Mirro-matic sales lady
Secret Plan: sorry, it's still secret.
Random Equation
: Mom= stay at home grandmother.

No comments: