Sunday, February 8, 2009

Voices of the past.

We've all been there... Attempting a tricky maneuver and heard a parent's voice whispering words of advice in your mind.
I consider myself lucky to have two dads. I do not consider myself lucky to have two dads voices in my head while I am trying to build things. It's almost as if they are trying to talk over each other.

Dad Voice 1: "Measure twice cut once."
Dad Voice 2: "Use the right tool for the job."
Dad Voice 1: "Think it through before you start."
Dad Voice 2: " I agree, but make sure you have the right tools."
Dad Voice 1: " He's right, anything worth doing is worth doing right."

All I wanted was a shelf and thanks to a childhood filled with construction based lessons, I now have one.
As you can see, it's a perfect one, exactly level.
Who knew that it could be achieved with the help(ha!) of this:
While I have many things to credit my fathers for, I think it's the mothers of the world who taught me how to do those things while simultaneously feeding a toddler cheezits and keeping her away from the array of "right tools for the job" I had on hand.
Also, I realized that I always hear dad voices giving advice in my head, but as far as my mom goes, I just see her giving me "the look". That pretty much sums up my childhood.
So thanks to my mothers and fathers for all the lessons learned. I think I might go and put up another shelf now, 'cause you know, "practice makes perfect."

No comments: