Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Birds of a Feather



If you haven't heard, Dr. Seuss kept a secret hat closet in his house.
 Everything about that statement makes me smile. 
SECRET. HAT CLOSET. DR. SEUSS. 
This closet was filled with crazy hats he had collected and he would open it up at dinner parties and let everyone pick a hat to wear. 
The painting "Raising Money for the Arts" was clearly influenced by his feathered hat that fans out like a peacock tail, seen in the exhibition, "Hats Off to Dr. Seuss." (Courtesy of the Dr. Seuss Estate)

The subject only gets better the more I read about it. 
Best of all, the hats are part of a traveling exhibition. Knowing my friends, a day trip to see the exhibition is going to be the easiest sale I've ever made. 
Also, everyone I know (MIMI!) is hereby informed that 1) I'm not going to wait until I am a crazy old lady to have a secret crazy hat closet. 2) If you help me build a secret hat closet, you get to know the location (duh) 3) At dinner parties, be prepared to pick a hat to wear.
 Don't say I didn't warn you. 

3 comments:

michie said...

I would probably not be your first choice for closet construction, I am one mean painter and would contribute hats to your collection once built.

Wet Shrub said...

Let me interject here with a bit of reason on top of the Seussical nonsense.

How about start with a crazy hat box. Have 5 dinner parties and see how it goes. If people are dying for new/more hats and beating the door down to get invited to a hat party, then move up to a crazy hat trunk, then wardrobe, then we can talk about adding a crazy hat west wing onto The Cave ....Mrs. McCave.

Sincerely,
Oliver Boliver Butt

Anonymous said...

I have some er,uh, personal items I would like to include in the Seuss closet and can aid vastly in the hidden construction. And, of course, the location would be "in the vault" as they say with me.

Cat in the Hat