Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Stuffed with everything good

This last winter, with a gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket, I bought myself a beautiful french cookbook by Dori Greenspan.
I had heard an interview with the author, but when I got to the bookstore I couldn't remember the title of the cookbook...  
I did however remember the author because her name is Dori... 
which is the name of Meeshmellow's Parent's pug - a sweet, round, little sausage of a dog.
While listening the radio interview I kept imagining the author's voice coming from a little pug dog in a beret, talking about pumpkins and bacon, licking her little chops... 
It's the kind of image that sticks with you, and the reason I was able to find the book. 
Since it was winter, and sugar pumpkins were available I tried "Pumpkin stuffed with everything good".
Boy is it.
The recipe calls for bread, cheese, bacon, garlic, and heavy cream. Oh, and a pumpkin to hold it in.
I followed the instructions but substituted 2% milk for the cream with great results.
 It smells so good cooking, it's hard to let it finish. 
 Since then I have made it a couple times as a casserole with butternut squash as a base. So good... a new fall/winter tradition!

No comments: